Skyscraper

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Yuyogi and Max Brenner

I met up with Calvin and Eddie for dinner and asked Kin along too since he had nothing to do that night. I drove myself and Kin to the city to meet the other guys. But we were really late because of the heavy traffic. I had decided to take the freeway and then go down Punt Road, not knowing that there was a footy match on that night so traffic through that small section into the city was a crawl. Anyway, Calvin and Eddie were starving so ate first. When we finally got to the city, they met up with us and went to Yuyogi and sat with us.

Yuyogi is just a small restaurant on Swanston Street. It's run by Chinese but they do Japanese food. It's not very authentic Japanese food and is more a cafe style of restaurant. Kin and I ordered the medium size Sushi and Sashimi Platter. We also each got a Beef Tataki and Takoyaki.

Here's Calvin on the left and myself.


Kin on the left and Eddie.


The Sushi and Sashimi platter was ok. Some of the fish was good while some weren't so good. I liked the thin calamari strips with these green fish egg things on them. I didn't know fish eggs came in green. Maybe its artificial stuff?


The Beef Tataki was good, with the sauce having a nice flavour. There wasn't too much beef though and a whole lotta cabbage.


The takoyaki, which I love in general, was quite good too. You could taste actual pieces of squid and the texture was soft and didn't taste too floury.


This restaurnt is good for a quick meal. The food is ok and the prices aren't too expensive. I overheard the table next to us where a lady said to her friend that it was a great restaurant and thanked her for recommending it. I don't know if she was being polite but its not exactly a great restaurant. It's more a simple cafe.

Overall Rating: 12/20, Food is ok for a quick meal. Not much for ambience as it is quite crowded in the narrow restaurant.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20: Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

After dinner, Eddie had a party to go to while Calvin, Kin and I walked over to Max Brenner in QV for some drinks and dessert. While Calvin couldn't finish his ultra rich hot chocolate, Kin and I tucked into some chocolate desserts.

Kin got the Mousse, which was actually very light and not too sweet. The white chocolate part blended very well with the dark chocolate part.


My Hot Chocolate Souffle was sensational. The soft souffle once broken revealed a stream of melted chocolate that oozed out. Then when you got to the centre, there was a small puddle of white chocolate. It was very tasty indeed, I must go back again for more.

3 comments:

  1. I dunno how you could review Yoyogi as the class of this dining place is within McDonald standards. I do think you enjoyed it more than you let out. Again Thanh Do's vacumn mouth cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, the restaurant was better than McDonalds standards as the staff can handle changes such as when we switched our drinks.

    I thought it was ok for what it was, a cafe style place. I remember you picking at all the food left on the table, even the last piece of cabbage from you beef tataki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention the part where we had to drag your fat slab from the sidewalk

    ReplyDelete